Established in 1877
History Of The School
Raghabpur St Paul’s High School has a rich history. In 1842, Fr Zubiburo, a Spanish Carmelite priest came to India to assist the Parish Priest of Noakhali and Barishal(now in Bangladesh).
He then went to Krishnanagar before finally settling down in the village of KOIKHALI, in the South 24 Parganas District of West Bengal.
The Belgian Jesuits came to India in 1857 and were entrusted with the care of the Bengal Mission. In 1869, the Jesuit Fr Goffinet came to Koikhali and constructed a mud hut on the land bought by Fr Zubiburo, which served both as a Church and a Presbytery. Fr Goffinet made Koikhali his home for twelve years before ill-health forced his return to Belgium. He foresaw the need of imparting a sound education to the people there and constructed the first school on August 1st that year, which by 1874 had strength of 140 students. That same year, the school, along with the entire Koikhali mission, was transferred to Raghabpur.
Three years later, in1877, Fr Jules Henry started the first school in the verandah of the Church compound in Raghabpur with just 12 students. This was the only school in the South 24 Parganas District. Hostels were now constructed for both boys and girls. Fr A de la Croix shifted the school to a newly constructed, “Sikha Bhavan” adjoining the Church compound, the site of the present school. The then Jesuit Provincial, Fr Paul Goethals, blessed and inaugurated the school building, and the school was named after him as St Paul’s Middle Vernacular School.
From 1901 onwards, the school started receiving a grant of Rs 25/- from the Government, and soon reached Standard Five. In 1910-11, Fr Gregory upgraded it to Standard Six. By 1929, many Primary schools under the aegis of the Raghabpur Mission were started in different villages, and consolidation began to take place.
In 1936, Fr Poderzaj embarked on a mission to upgrade the school and began the construction of a new school building with classrooms, a Staff Room and administrative office. In 1943, the school was approved as a Junior High School and remained as such till 1971.
In 1971, Fr Thottam, who was both Parish Priest and Headmaster, started Classes 7 and 8. In 1980, Fr Anil Mitra was appointed Headmaster. His strenuous efforts, together with the assistance of Mother Teresa, led to the school getting Government recognition till Class 8, followed by approval of a fully-fledged High School in 1987 till Class 10 or Madhyamik. From now on, a significant rise in the student strength began to take place. The present school building was completely rejuvenated and reconstructed in 1992 by the then Provincial Fr P C Matthew, under the supervision of Fr Horace Rosner.On 28th February,1993, the present school building was blessed and inaugurated by Fr Peter Hans Kolvenbach, Superior General of the Society of Jesus, in the presence of Mother Teresa
In keeping with our Jesuit educational policy, Prefects of Discipline were now appointed and the House system started to inculcate in the students greater social awareness, foster healthy competition and other social values. Fr Thottam returned as Headmaster in1997, and succeeded in getting approval of the Higher Secondary Section in 1999.
By the year 2005, the student strength had reached 1250. Now two Prefects, one for the Secondary and another for the Higher Secondary Sections, were appointed for more effective management and discipline in the school. A water reservoir was built, over which an open stage was also constructed. A school auditorium, a Computer Section and Audio-Visual Room came into being. With the help of the Mennonite Society, a soundless new generator was installed.
The school today, in 2021, has an enrolment of 1276 students, 734 boys and 542 girls. Raghabpur St Paul’s Higher Secondary School, as it is now known, continues to grow and expand and meet the challenges of the future, which we see as opportunities for greater and more generous service, the living out of the Jesuit Magis in action.
The goal of our institution is to transcend the barriers of bookish learning and to manifest the inherent potentials of every individual to become holistic human beings in order to actively participate in the growth and development of the society at large.The motto of our school is “ To form ourselves for the service to others”. Our co curricular activities, cultural programmes, daily prayer assembly are solemnly directed towards this motto, so that our students may inculcate the ability to take responsibilities and give leadership when needed.This institution is run by the Fathers of “The Society of Jesus” also known as the Jesuits. A Jesuit is “A Man for others for the Greater Glory of God”. Hence, the Jesuits have been instrumental in imparting modern education imbibed with the values of service, to every individual around the world irrespective of religion, color, creed and gender. This school is also a part of that mission of creating individuals who would be dedicated not only for development of the self, but also for the selfless service to others and the betterment of the society.
St. Paul’s High School, Raghabpur infrastructure comprises of an Assembly hall, Audio visual room, Computer lab, Library, Games room, Music room, Mid-day meal room, Playground lined with trees.
Mid-Day Meal Room
Audio Visual Room
Playground Lined With Trees
Mother Teresa House
President of the Founder body
Fr. Raphael Joseph Hyde, S. J. : Provincial – Kolkata Province
REPRESENTATIVE OF THE FOUNDER BODY
President – Dr. Fr. Dominic Savio, S. J.
Vice President – Fr. Patrick Walsh, S. J.
Secretary – Fr. Joseph Toppo, S. J.
Fr. Zenith William, S. J., Joint Secretary
Fr. FaustinBrank, L.L.B.
Sr. Maria Nithika, AC
Mr. Prabir Kumar Das.
Mr. Dilip Das
Mr. Pushpendu Roy
OFFICE OF THE STATE GOVERNMENT
Mrs. SHRABANTI RONG GHOSHAL (Convener)
Mr. SUSHOVAN CHATTERJEE
Mr. ANUP GAYEN
Mr. ANIMESH BISWAS
Mrs. MADHABI MAJUMDAR
Mrs. SWAPNA RAYCHAUDHURI
Mr. AMRITA RONG
Mrs. SAMPA MUNSI
Mr. PARTHA SARATHI CHAKRABORTY
STUDENT SAFETY &SECURITY MONITORING COMMITTEE
Fr. DOMINIC SAVIO, S. J (PRESIDENT OF MC)
Dr. SADHANA KARALI (TIC)
Mrs. SWAPNA RAYCHAUDHURI(AT)
Mr. PRABIR KR. DAS (TEACHER’S REPRESENTATIVE )
Mr. DILIP DAS (TEACHER’S REPRESENTATIVE )
Mr. PUSHPENDU ROY (GUARDIAN S REPRESENTATIVE)
Mr. ROBEN MAKHAL (GUARDIAN REPRESENTATIVE)
Ms. SHAKTIMOYEE HAZRA (HEALTH DEPARTMENT )
Officer in charge of the Bishnipur Police station.